Wednesday, March 9, 2011

First, I'm found.......... then I'm not..............

Well folks, it's now my turn to speak.............from the grave. So let me ask you?  Is Hart Island the place you'd want as your final home?  Is it your intention, once you've left this earth, to never have anymore human contact?  To never have any flowers lain upon your head?  To never celebrate a holiday, your birthday?  To never have someone walk past you and recognize your existence?  I sure as hell didn't and for many, many years that is how I lived my death.  My sister, although I had long thought she had forgotten about me, knows my pain, and that of thousands of others.  She knows what it's like to be forgotten in death, not to mention in life, and she's doing her best to rectify that.............for me and so many others.  Is she out of her mind?  No!  Is she so full of herself that she thinks she can make a difference?  No!  Is she dead serious about what's doing?  Absolutely! 

I've been on this Island now for 39+ years, more years than I was when I found myself in this long forgotten place.  Here I will stay, "ashes to ashes and dust to dust", that's what I am now.  I fly around in this afterlife, along with many of my neighbors who have now become my "family", and we ask, "what the hell?".  I haven't given up hope, as my sister is quite the pistol, and if I have to wait another 39 years before I can feel at peace and actually enjoy my well earned rest, that's what I'll do.  I'll be back.

Remember, the dead do speak.................. and tell the truth - they've nothing more to lose after all.

John S. Turner
10/23/47-1/19/72
Hart Island, NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment